Honeywell House
720 N. Wabash St.
Wabash IN 46992
Contact Us
260.563.2326
or Email
Connect
  • White Facebook Icon

ABOUT US

Honeywell House Board of Overseers

Susan Beckett

Kaye Dorais

Phyllis Downey

Ana Gackenheimer

Steve Hentgen

Posy Jasen

Hal Job

Susie Jones

Patsy Myers

Amy Sullivan

Richard Tucker

Our History

1880

A three-story Italianate frame house is erected at the corner of Hill and Spring Street.
 

1920

The Beitman family (owners of Beitman & Wolf Department Store) purchase an 8 acre plot on North Wabash Street, at the edge of town. The house is moved to its present location: 720 N. Wabash St. Because the house is so large it is cut into two pieces and pulled to its new location using the interurban tracks running down Wabash Street.
 

1940

The house is damaged in a fire and is completely remodeled, removing the third floor and all Italianate features.

 

1959

Mrs. Honeywell buys the home and begins a major renovation. The architectural style is changed to a French Manor. The mansard roof and brick façade are added.
 

1964

The renovations are completed and Mrs. Honeywell moves in. Her husband, Mark Honeywell, passes away due to years of declining health at age 90.
 

1974

Mrs. Honeywell dies in a tragic electrical fire in the house. The house and contents are bequeathed to the Indiana University Foundation to be run as a cultural center and museum for the people of Wabash.
 

1974 - 1977 

Under the direction of Howard Garver, the house is completely restored and opens to the public in September 1977.
 

1992

The Indiana University Foundation creates a local board of overseers to manage the house. 

 

2010

The Indiana University Foundation gifts the house and its contents to The Honeywell Foundation.